Frequently Asked Questions
Can I volunteer at SFMOMA while the museum building is closed for expansion?
Yes! While the museum's building is closed for expansion, from summer 2013 through early 2016, we anticipate that volunteers will be asked to meet at various off-site locations to support SFMOMA programming. We will continue to engage our volunteers throughout the expansion process.
How do I become a volunteer?
The first step is to complete an application (PDF) or inquiry form and return it to the address indicated on the form.
Does SFMOMA conduct interviews before accepting applicants into the volunteer program?
Yes. The volunteer program manager will take a few minutes to discuss your interests, expectations, and availability before inviting you to attend an orientation for prospective volunteers.
What is the minimum age to become a volunteer at SFMOMA?
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age.
Do I need to be a member?
Membership is not required of our volunteer staff.
I have a background in art history; can I help research or write?
SFMOMA has employees who research, write and organize our exhibitions. If you are considering a career in museum research, writing or curatorial studies, we also have an internship program for career exploration and experience.
Will I work directly with artists and/or the art? Can I help hang the art?
Very few SFMOMA staff actually work with the artists or the art, and those who do are specially trained employees. We take great pride in the conservation, care, and exhibition of our collection. As a result, we do not use volunteers for art handling and installation.
Can I volunteer over the summer or winter break at SFMOMA?
SFMOMA requires a six-month commitment from all volunteers.
What will SFMOMA provide for volunteers? What is expected of me as a SFMOMA volunteer?
- To provide the opportunity for a meaningful volunteer experience, allowing the volunteer to share in the works and goals of SFMOMA.
- To provide the opportunity for hands-on work with a variety of departments.
- To provide the opportunity for volunteers to assist in the education of visitors through our education programs.
- To provide training and supervision.
- To keep an account of volunteer hours, and to provide a letter of recommendation when requested.
- To provide a volunteer program manager responsible for interviewing and placing volunteers. The volunteer program manager also acts as a liaison between volunteers and the museum.
The SFMOMA volunteer agrees:
- To a minimum of six months of service to SFMOMA.
- To contribute all services at no charge. Any donated items and/or work or materials produced while volunteering become the property of SFMOMA.
- To report faithfully to one's assigned project on the assigned day at the scheduled time, and to carry out duties promptly and responsibly.
- To use space and equipment only for work assigned and at authorized times.
- To promote the dignity and integrity of the museum in all interactions with the public and to honor confidential information.
- To abide by the volunteer policies as set forth in the orientation handbook.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415.357.4157. Leave a message with your name, phone number and/or email address, and the information you require, and someone will get back to you shortly.