SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast devoted solely to modern and contemporary art. Below is a list of facts and highlights from our vibrant past.
- The San Francisco Museum of Art opened on January 18, 1935, under the direction of Grace McCann Morley.
- Neal Benezra became director in 2002.
- See SFMOMA’s Board of Trustees here.
- SFMOMA has four collecting areas: Architecture + Design, Media Arts, Painting + Sculpture, and Photography.
- SFMOMA is located at 151 Third Street in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco.
- SFMOMA recently underwent a major expansion, led by the Norwegian architectural firm Snøhetta, that nearly tripled the museum’s gallery space.
- Images of the building pre-expansion, during construction, and post-expansion can be requested here.