All researchers using the resources of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Archives must complete this form. The information you provide will help the staff assist you in your research, compile statistics, and provide for the security of the collections.
Conditions of Use
- Documents may not be removed from the reading room without permission.
- Smoking, eating and drinking are not permitted.
- Pens are prohibited; please use a pencil for note-taking. (Laptops are allowed, laptop bags are not).
- Materials must lie flat on the tables; they shall not be placed on laps, leaned on, written on, folded, traced from, or handled in any way likely to damage them. Staff will provide book cradles if needed.
- Researchers may remove only one folder at a time from the box. Use the provided Out Card to mark the position of the folder in the box.
- Researchers must preserve the existing arrangement of material within folders and boxes. If anything appears to be misfiled, call it to the attention of the staff but do not rearrange it yourself. Turn the pages in a book-like fashion.
- SFMOMA reserves the right to set restrictions on access to and copying of archival materials.
- Mark materials for copying by placing the provided paper flags vertically in the folder in front of the requested document. The end of the flag should stick up out of the folder. The archivist will make copies for researchers.
- Material request, photocopy, reproduction, and permission to publish forms are available from the archivist.
- Researchers who notice damage to archival materials should bring it to the attention of the staff.
- Everything brought into the research room is subject to inspection upon arrival and departure.