Connecting people to the art of our time is at the heart of SFMOMA’s mission. This dashboard presents a transparent, interactive view to the museum’s 2020–21 progress in engaging a broader audience; diversifying our collections, visitors, board, and staff; and prioritizing our strategic goals to:
- Assert our role in making the art of our time matter
- Become a human-centered, community-driven museum
- Transform our culture from the inside out
- Cultivate sustainability and growth with creativity and impact
Learn more about SFMOMA’s Artist Identity Program, launched as an initial project phase in 2020.
Read more about SFMOMA’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Take a virtual tour of our 2021–22 Staff Art Show, which celebrates the ingenuity and talent of our many artist-colleagues.
Read more about SFMOMA’s Board of Trustees.
- SFMOMA’s Dashboard will continually evolve to reflect work in progress.
- Starting with the FY21 Dashboard, SFMOMA began taking a holistic, consistent approach on the methods and terminology used to capture data pertaining to identity factors. After soliciting input from staff and consultants, we implemented a new multi-factor, inclusive survey approach to data collection, starting with living artists and staff.
- Identity data collected for SFMOMA living artists and staff for 2020–21 is self-reported, multi-factor, and reflects more inclusive set of identity factor descriptors than the 2019–20 Dashboard.
- 2020–21 identity data for deceased artists was acquired through public record research and remains single-factor.
- 2020–21 identity data for our visitors and board remains single-factor.
- Our 2020–21 Dashboard is established in part as a tool for goal setting and establishing time-based milestones for diversity metrics. Learn more about our DEI strategic goals.